Capital Gains Tax on Property

  • by Graham Bond
  • 23 May, 2017
capital gains tax on property

If you sell a property, you might have to pay tax. This tax is called capital gains tax. The amount you might have to pay will depend on the amount of profit you make.

If the property you are considering selling is your main residence then you would normally be entitled to “Principle private residence relief”. This relief normally allows you to you to sell your home without incurring capital gains tax (CGT).

Partial relief to capital Gains Tax

If the property to be sold was at some point your main residence then you could be entitled to partial relief on the profits made. This can be a complex calculation and will also depend on the length of time the property was your main home, how long it was rented as well as the expenses you incurred and the net profit from the sale. Certain periods of time are excluded depending on the reasons the property was rented out. These need to be taken into account when disposing of the property.

Properties subject to CGT

Some types of properties that might be subject to capital gains:

  • Investment property
  • Buy to let
  • A second home
  • Business premises
  • Land, for example agricultural land

Calculating Capital Gains Tax 

The Government has a Capital Gains Tax Calculator in the .Gov.UK website. We have found this useful for clients.  This might give a rough guide to the possible CGT you might have to pay. IT won’t deal with complex capital gains tax calculations and we would therefore always recommend you speak to an appropriately qualified adviser and if necessary seek professional advice.

Tax payers also need to be aware if they sell any other assets or investments that might be subject to CGT in the same tax year and the profits will be amalgamated together. Assets that are jointly owned any profits need to be split between the owners on an appropriate basis.

Changes to CGT Calculations

As from April 2015 the way CGT is calculated has changed and it is now more closely linked to your income in each tax year. However, if the property is not covered under the private residence relief exemption, then you might have to pay capital gains on any profit.

Advising HMRC

It will be necessary for you to complete a self-assessment tax return to tell HMRC of the gain you have made. So, for example if you sold your property in June 2016 then the sale would fall in the 2016/2017 tax year. If you submit your self-assessment tax return online then you would need to do this by 31 January 2017 and pay any due tax at this point. Late payment of tax would incur penalties and interest for the amount of time outstanding.

More Information

For more information on capital gains tax on property please contact us. The Government website also gives more guidance on capital gains tax rules and regulations. We would recommend having a look at it. The site can be found at   HMRC info on CGT

Recent Posts

by Graham Bond 29 Jun, 2017
Here's an update on Personal Finance Portal. From the 4th July our client portal will have a new look and feel about it. 
The software provider we work in conjuction with have revised the format to make it easier to use for our financial planning clients.

The Personal Finance Portal is a quick and secure way to obtain up to date valuations on your pensions and investments. It also offers you a way to communicate safely with us as the service is encrypted. The same cannot be said about email, which is not secure. 

The aim is to make the navigation easier to use and to provide more information to you on your finances. 

The video below shows some of the improvements that will be made. We hope you find it useful and informative. 

To access our portal please click this link

If you would like to find out more about the Personal Finance Portal please feel free to contact  us on 01454 321511. Consilium Asset Management offer Independent Financial Advice to private and business owners in the Bristol area. 
by Graham Bond 21 Jun, 2017

Over the month weeks and months, we are looking to improve the personal finance portal (PFP) for our clients. The first stage is to introduce a live chat, audio and video service whilst clients are logged into PFP. This is the first level of improvements we will be making over the coming months. The live chat service is safe and secure.

by Graham Bond 19 Jun, 2017

Quite often friends and clients ask me about the best pension plans and I can understand. Pensions are complicated, even more so since Pensions Freedoms came into play.Successive Governments have tinkered with the pension rules and regulations time and time again. I started in the Financial Services Industry in 1984 and I can say each year the government has made some sort of change. Sometimes for the better or worse, but usually it adds another layer of complication. Terms such as Lifetime allowance, Fixed Protection, Capped and Flexi Access Drawdown are technical terms that generally confuse the public.

In its simplest form a pension is a savings contract with tax breaks written under pension rules.
More posts
Share by: